Friday, 6 June 2008

[27] Final Crisis #1

I decided that now I have a bit more time on my hands, I would put some effort into getting back into comix. Lucky for me, DC have just started their big comic event: Final Crisis. What follows isn't exactly an in-depth review, but I wanted to post something about it anyway.





The build up for this, a successor to previous events such as Crisis on Infinite Earths and Infinite Crisis, has been going on for over a year, with the 52 issue Countdown series. These events have been notable for their reboots of the DC Universe, involving huge crossovers and often major changes to the character rosters. I haven't read either of these previous Crisis series or the Countdown build-up, same with the splinter series such as Identity Crisis - the only real knowledge I have of these is gleaned from Wikipedia and reading around the subject online. Nevertheless, I wanted to dive right in with Final Crisis #1.

The series is written by Grant Morrison, one of the impressive crop of ex-2000 AD writers that have garnered a lot of attention and respect in the comix industry. My direct experience of his work is not as deep as with some of his contemporaries, such as Neil Gaiman, Garth Ennis and Alan Moore, but I liked what I have read of The Invisibles, and the 3 issue mini-series We3 was one of the most original ideas I have seen in the medium.

One thing that surprised me about this comic is that it is not impenetrable. Even though it is a Universe-wide series, featuring many characters and references that require intimate knowledge of various DC properties, Morrison and artist JG Jones manage to communicate and convey their story well. The multiple plot lines introduced in this first issue reveal a deep and ambitious affair.

This is more than promising. I am looking forward to spending the next 6 months with the series.

One way of finding out all of the little references that a newcomer might miss is to read an annotations blog. This one, maintained by Douglas Wolk, is quite fantastic, informative, full of links, and ranges from character introductions, to background easter eggs.

No comments: