Sunday, 6 July 2008

[32] It came from the garage...!

Yet more self-indulgence, I'm afraid.

Since Wednesday, not much has happened. I have started playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Grand Theft Auto 4, so expect some impressions in the future. Otherwise, things are a little slow over here.

I went to see a production of Noel Coward's Hay Fever at the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester with my parents. It was a pretty solid production, as is to be expected from the RET, but apart from a few moments of real transcendence, I wasn't too impressed by the play itself.

Today, I cleared out the garage with my father. We came across a lot of stuff, with some things of interest.

-------------------------


From a young age, I have been a big fan of Star Wars. This has probably waned in the years since the prequel trilogy and the relative infrequency of quality licensed video games, but it means I have a great deal of Star Wars stuff. The majority of this is mostly valueless, but the pride of my collection, handed down to me from my parents and uncle, is collected here:




I'd recommend clicking through to Picasa, and zooming to get the detail here. This picture contains:

- The first two issues of the Marvel-published Star Wars monthly comic.
- 2 contemporary Star Wars annuals
- A ticket and programme from the Manchester premiere of Star Wars, held at the Oxford St Odeon cinema (now sadly closed). My parents won a competition held by the Manchester Evening News.

Fantastic stuff. You really get a sense of how special the release of Star Wars (before 'Episode 4', before 'A New Hope') really was. 30 years ago! In pretty good condition all round, I must say. One amusing aspect of the comic in particular is its place as a Marvel publication ('Stan Lee Presents...'!), which gives rise to a clash between Star Wars and 'The Marvel Age of Comix'. Check it:




Excelsior!

-------------------------

No comments: