Sunday, 26 October 2008

[60] What is 'Wild Tyme'?

60 posts in, and I thought I should tackle this question:

What is 'Wild Tyme'?

1) It's not a droll attempt at a witty conscious-typo. I took the name from a Jefferson Airplane track, off their album After Bathing at Baxter's. I set up the blog around the time when I was taking a course on American counterculture in the 1950s-1960s. One week, we had to listen to the music of Bob Dylan, Jefferson Airplane and Country Joe and the Fish. I was already a fan of the Airplane, but hadn't heard that particular album before. One of the only tracks I was taken by was 'Wild Tyme', one of Paul Kantner's songwriting credits which declares about the new experiences, viewpoints and worlds created by the youthful culture in the late 1960's. Here are some lyrics:

It's a Wild Tyme
I see love all the time!
I'm doing things that haven't got a name yet;
I need love, your love.
It don't matter if it's rain or shine.
...
I want to be with you, no matter what I do,
what doesn't change is the way
I feel for you today.
Times just seem so good.
I do know that I should be here with you this way,
and it's new, so new.
I see changes, changes all around me are changes.






I think it's one of the best songs that Jefferson Airplane ever recorded. It's a real punchy, driving rock song, immediately anchored by a biting electric guitar intro (one of Jorma Kaukonen's best performances). The listener is gripped by the swirling vocal melodies. Again, like their best songs (especially 'White Rabbit') 'Wild Tyme' does not really follow any set pop song structure. It merely develops, shifting into a bridge section before fading out. I dug it, I think it was playing when I registered for blogger. I thought it would do.





2) So, Wild Tyme is the name I chose for this blog.

I started Wild Tyme early in 2008. I have had a livejournal account for almost 6 years now, however once I went to university, I lost all interest in writing about myself and my personal life. Instead, I needed a place online to post my other bits of writing which I have, in the past, published on websites such as rateyourmusic.com, facebook, or CC2K.us. I was inspired by a tutor, who, as part of a course, encouraged the students to write weekly blogs on our reading and research. Over time, this has become a dumping ground for the majority of writing I have written in a serious or critical mode.

The blog gained a lot of steam when I started posting up draft chapters of my final year dissertation (which was based around English-language translations of the plays of Anton Chekhov). Interestingly, when I finally handed in my dissertation, it seemed there was an error in the printing, so a page or two was missing. It turned out that one of my tutors, who knew of the blog, plugged the gaps from the material online. Now, I've graduated from university, and I'm currently in the process of trying to get more published (hopefully one day paid) work, so therefore this blog works as a kind of online portfolio. I'm still working out how to gain any kind of a readership, although the smatterings of interest, referrals, searches and random hits are enough for the time being.

For those keeping count, my most popular posts over the last 60 posts, and 10 months, have been (I'll keep it a top 3, as it slides down quite quickly):

  1. 4 Tracks That Should Be in Mario Kart Wii - 2,256 views (a viral / blog-y style post I made around the time of the release of the latest Mario Kart game, it was picked up by a couple of gaming websites)
  2. 'We Can Be Together': American countercultural music, film and the trappings of the mainstream - 202 views (a posting of an essay I wrote for a university course, it was picked up by one Bob Dylan fansite)
  3. 'Pushkin and Shovin': Rusalka in The Seagull' - 84 views (see what I mean about the slip in views? This was one of the chapters from the dissertation, for some reason this is a big hit with random searches)


So now we're better acquainted. I'm Mike Leader. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Mike C said...

Nice to meet you 'Mike'. I always wondered what kind of a person wrote this blog.
Good to know why you called it Wild Tyme. I did think it was a poor attempt at humour...until now.