Saturday, 10 January 2009

[121] Yellow Magic Orchestra - Solid State Survivor Review

I know I posted this back when I wrote it in November, but my Solid State Survivor review has now gone up on the Tiny Mix Tapes site.

Now to write a follow-up.


---------------------




Like the majority of bands that first played with electronics, it’s hard to discuss Yellow Magic Orchestra without referencing Kraftwerk. However, to combat the homogenization and simplification of modern music’s trajectory, one must try. The Japanese group, hugely successful and still influential in their native country, had only minor hits in the Western world during their late 1970s, early 1980s heyday. They’re probably more remembered nowadays as one of the first projects of Academy Award-winning composer Ryuichi Sakamoto (the ’Danny Elfman / Oingo Boingo complex’). Nevertheless, their music is worth reappraisal...


Read the full article here.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Solid State - I love this one.
I do remember owning a comedic sketch of YMO in vinyl back in the day. I don't know if it was part of an album but I just yanked it out in a collector's shop. It was funny nonetheless. These guys did so many crazy stuffs in Japan.
As for the Oingo Boingo thing, YMO is referred to as Ryuichi Sakamoto plus two other guys. Kinda not fair, really.
You forgot to include Pop Will Eat itself = Clint Mansell.