Monday, 19 January 2009

[128] Fair Play, by Tove Jansson Review, now at CC2K

I've sketched out the rough for my first Okami essay, so hopefully will get that up in the next day or so. Today I went out to see Frost/Nixon (which I thought was entertaining, if a little dumbed-down) with the Finnish girl. So I didn't have the chance to sit down and write it properly.

In other news, CC2K have published a book review I wrote a few months ago, of Tove Jansson's Fair Play. It is still one of the articles on here I am most proud of, so I think I'll link to it.


------------





Tove Jansson is one of the best known Finnish writers internationally. Her most enduring (and successively reprinted work) is her series of tales and picture books based around the Moomins, a family of troll-like creatures who live in a picturesque valley and have many adventures. The relaxed, pastoral atmosphere, coupled with easy wisdom and gentle humor have led to critics' praise and readers' affection for generations, and the books have enjoyed many successful television adaptations.

However, Jansson mostly stopped writing Moomin books in 1970, writing primarily for adults until her death in 2001. Unfortunately for the English reader, the majority of Jansson's later books are hard to find, out of print, or simply untranslated from the original Swedish. A small UK publisher, Sort Of, has in the last few years reprinted some of these books, including The Summer Book (Sommerboken, 1972), and Fair Play (Rent Spel, 1989). These books reveal a unique voice, not alien to the Moomin tales, but covering decidedly different themes...


Read the full article here.

No comments: