Tuesday, 10 February 2009

[142] Jar City DVD Review

Another review over at Den Of Geek. Jar City (Myrin) was one of my favourite films from last year, so I jumped at the chance to finally write a review of it.



There's been a murder in Iceland. Luckily, Mike's on the case.

Jar City is a dark, chilly detective thriller set within the bleak, unforgiving landscape of Iceland. On the surface, it is standard TV-grade stuff - an old, misanthropic copper pursues a gruesome case while throwing disparaging, dry comments at his suspects, witnesses and doltish colleagues alike. In fact, I read a reference to the film somewhere as being 'Inspector Norse'. I prefer 'A Touch of Nordic Frost', myself, but importantly Jar City has significant stylistic depth and enough of its own cultural identity and gloomy atmosphere to stand above its generic premise.


Read the full article here.

1 comment:

Ralph said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Ruth

http://systemmemory.info