Tuesday, 17 March 2009

[160] How to Lose Friends and Alienate People (2008) DVD Review

Another DVD review for Den of Geek. Apart from one or two tiny errors, I'm quite happy with this one. I generally don't like reviews that 'savage' or 'skewer', but How to Lose Friends and Alienate People stirred up something in me - and I'd like to think I made my case well enough.


---------------------




Adapted from journlist/caricature Toby Young's memoir about his stint as a [contributing] editor at glossy American mag Vanity Fair, How To Lose Friends And Alienate People is a mollified and utterly defanged comedy.

The story goes that Sidney Young (Simon Pegg), a hard-nosed, doltish English journo, obsessed with the celebrity lifestyle yet absurdly adept at creating sticky situations, somehow gets hired by Sharps Magazine, the USA's premier high society publication. Coming from the rough and ready, take no prisoners approach of his Post Modern Review magazine, Sidney must contend with the sleazy, glitzy two-facedness of the New York social world.


Read the full article here.

No comments: