Wednesday, 29 April 2009

[177] Coraline (2008) Review

I am painfully aware that there has been little new content on the blog this month. I went through a bad patch early on, losing momentum and then losing the apparent will to write. Then, in the last 2 weeks, I have found myself picking up a lot of articles for other sites, so I'm drowning in features and reviews for elsewhere. They'll slowly show up on here - hopefully this will be a sign of good things to come. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, here is my review of Coraline. I remember buying the book when it came out, and was going to get it signed when Neil Gaiman came to Manchester on his book tour - however, I couldn't make it. Thankfully, a friend took my copy along with him. I think Henry Selick's film version is better - fuelled with so much creative inspiration and intelligent storytelling. One of the best films of my year so far.


------------





The grotesque is something you really don't see in many children's films. Today's big successes - the Pixars, the Harry Potters - deliver broad chuckles, wide-canvas thrills and eye-popping visuals, yet in terms of depth, subtlety and pure imagination come up a little short.

Not to tie oddity with inspiration, but for all their well-crafted charm and brilliance, modern family classics such as Toy Story, or even Wall-E peddle a mundane sort of fantasy, lacking the expressive weirdness found in some of the best children's literature from the 19th and 20th centuries. Coraline, the new stop-motion 3D film from director-artisan Henry Selick, bucks this trend with admirable, awesome skill.


Read the full article here.

No comments: