Saturday, 9 May 2009

[179] Neil Gaiman Interview

When I filled out the dwpub Journalert Freelance Focus questionnaire a couple of months ago, there was a question about who I would most like to interview. One of the people I put down was Neil Gaiman. He's one of my favourite authors, whose shadow is cast across a surprising amount of my taste in comics, books, films, even music. I got the chance to see him at a Reading/Q&A/Signing back in October, and I was content. So imagine my surprise, excitement and nerves when I landed the opportunity to interview him for Den of Geek, as part of the press junket for Coraline.

I think it went really, really well. I managed to have my nerd-gasm before we even started recording, as he invited me onto the hotel room's sofa (thankfully, we didn't sit in the imposing video interview set-up), and said he enjoyed reading Den of Geek - especially the review of Coraline. So after that, I completely relaxed, and we had a wonderful little chat - for 13 minutes!

Anyway, I'm very please with this, and thrilled that I had the chance to do this interview. Check it out.


-----------------------------




When thinking of modern-day geek culture superstars, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone as wide-ranging, lauded and downright successful as Neil Gaiman. Whether it's in comics, novels (for adults or all-ages), film or music, Gaiman has delighted audiences the world over - he even wrote an episode of Babylon 5, for Valen's sake. Currently enjoying the fallout of releasing The Graveyard Book late last year, which won the author the prestigious Newberry Medal, Gaiman was in London as part of the press circus for Henry Selick's adaptation of his 2002 novel Coraline. I had the opportunity to talk with him about his hectic year, the experience of seeing Coraline adapted to both stage and screen, and, of course, Twitter.


Read the full article here.

No comments: