Wednesday, 7 April 2010

[326] Epigrams and Epitaphs, a Tease...

I have a lot going on at the moment, but I thought I would post a teaser for a project that, hopefully, will gather some steam.




I bought this book for 50p in Birmingham almost three years ago. It stuck out of the pile of yellowing, dusty books in Mr. Wycherley's shop because of one attribute: it was heavily annotated by its previous owner.








The previous owner of the book, which was originally published in 1897, was Dr. Frederick Parkes Weber, a noted dermatologist and prominent figure in many cross-sections of the London of his lifetime, which spanned almost a century, from 1863 to 1962. I am using this book as a guide, as part of that man's legacy, to explore the debris of life that shoots outwards in the form of physical media, patronage and artefacts. In the world of PDFs, iPads and virtual shopping, it seems all the more important to trace the webs of living through matter.

I have already started the adventure, hopefully I will have more to show soon.





1 comment:

viralfirm said...

That is very interesting. I like your way of thinking. :)