Wednesday, 20 July 2011

[486] Adventures In Comics: Ink+Paper & New Cross Turn Left

I've been so busy of late that I've neglected to mention some of the huge things that are happening in the near future. Luckily, I've managed to tear myself away from my imposing, terrifying four-tiered to-do list, with a view to enlightening you lovely people to some SUPER comics-related wonders.

First up, Ink + Paper.




David O' Connell is a top chap. His Tozo comic was one of the first books I picked up when I started trundling along to London comics fairs, and his 100 Days project, the Francophilic romance A Corner Of Paradise, really perked me up when I read it earlier this year. Now he's making an anthology-magazine, which launches in November with a fantastic array of talent, including Lizz Lunney, Philippa Rice, Timothy Winchester, Dan Berry, Ellen Lindner, Hugh Raine, Joe Decie, and Jess Bradley (who I only discovered recently, at May's MCM Expo, but gosh her stuff is great).

The twist this time is that I'm contributing, too. I'll be writing up a prĂ©cis on my Dr. F. Parkes Weber project, exploring how purchasing a dusty little hardback from Mr Wycherley's dusty little bookshop in Selly Oak connected me with a long-dead physician, and revealed to me a bygone London. This has been brewing for some time, so I'm excited to finally get the words out - and to have it enshrined in print, alongside such a list of cohorts? I'm thrilled.

To whet the old appetite, here are two photographs Lillian Wilkie took a year ago of the book in question.


acest book

Mike


Secondly, and much more pressingly, this Sunday will see an eruption of comics, art, comedy and music in the borderlands between New Cross and Deptford in South London. It's New Cross Turn Left, an event masterminded by locals Ellen Lindner, Julia Scheele, Howard Hardiman and Nevs Coleman.




It should be immense fun. It's being held at the Old Police Station, which has been taken over by various art-y types and turned into a haven for creativity. I'll be there in a WAW+P capacity, interviewing people for the podcast in an old interrogation cell. Come along! Details are over at the NCTL blog.


Now, back to work - whatever that means. I have a huge pile of comics to blog about, and two podcasts to edit, so expect more adventures sometime soon.

No comments: