Tuesday, 16 August 2011

[493] WAW+P Radio #10: Reinhard Kleist

Ten episodes of podcastery! It's only taken me a year. So maybe my output hasn't been as prolific as I'd hoped, but surely it's all about quality over quantity?

With that in mind, stuff this episode in your ears. For me, this year has been full of German comics, from Arne Bellstorf's Baby's In Black, to the raft of autobiographical books by Mawil that Blank Slate put out a couple of months ago. They're all fantastic, and now we can add Reinhard Kleist to the list. I recently got around to reading his Johnny Cash graphic biography, I See A Darkness, and found that it was just as beautiful as the entire world said it was.




His new book is another biography, Castro. I'm only halfway through it, but it's looking great so far. I love his style, full of expressive brush-strokes and big splodges of black ink. And it turns out he's not only a great guy to talk to, but he also has a killer taste in music - as is evidenced by the podcast below. Here's a blurb:


We Are Words + Pictures host Michael Leader talks about graphic biographies with German comics artist Reinhard Kleist, the creator of Johnny Cash: I See A Darkness and Castro.


To find out more about the We Are Words + Pictures collective, visit their site at: http://wearewordsandpictures.com/


Links:
Reinhard Kleist - http://www.reinhard-kleist.de/
SelfMadeHero - http://www.selfmadehero.com/

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues
Johnny Cash - I See A Darkness
Johnny Cash - Greystone Chapel
Afghan Whigs - What Jail Is Like
Monster Magnet - Negasonic Teenage Warhead
Baroness - The Gnashing

Listen below, or right-click here to save. I have another interview primed already, which just needs a little tinkering, and then there's all the amazing material from New Cross Turn Left. So, once I get time, you should be drowning in comics chat.




In the meantime, have a listen, leave a comment, and maybe go forth and evangelise!

No comments: